Many companies carry things that you may need in your home, neat little items that you can’t find anywhere else. Well, there is a market for the auto world as well and it is auto wreckers and scrap dealers. Auto wreckers in Newcastle area or scrap dealer is someone who deals with dismantling wrecked and decommissioned vehicles. The parts they get from those decommissioned vehicles are then sold to be used in other operational vehicles. Parts that cannot be used are sold to metal recycling companies. Typically, an auto wrecker or scrap dealer will deal only on the local level. So, the scrap dealer that you call gets all their parts from vehicles and sells all their parts.
This is a great way to support your local economy as scrap dealers and auto wreckers do a lot of business in their local areas. Recent changes in the economy have affected businesses across all industries worldwide. People have had to adapt in many ways. As the economy soured, many people started to cut back on their spending. This caused the housing and automotive markets to take one of the hardest hits of all. In response to the drastic slump of the automotive market, the government decided to launch the cash for clunker program.
Some viewed this as wildly successful while others viewed it as a complete failure. Regardless of these opinions, the program had a “trickle-down” effect that the majority of people aren’t aware of. The function of an auto wrecker is to dismantle an old or damaged car. From this car, the usable parts are removed and the rest of the metallic body is sold as scrap. Hence, we see that an auto wrecker serves the purpose of recycling a car. Recycling is a complex process because it entails the recycling of functional parts, removal of hazardous material, etc. Steps involved in this process are:
- Taking an inventory of the parts.
- Removal of wheels, tires, battery and catalytic converter.
- Removal of fluids such as engine coolant, oil transmission fluid, air conditioning refrigerant, gasoline, etc.
- Parts such as electronic modules, alternators, starter motors, etc. are sold in as-is condition to users if the condition is good. Else they are restored and sold.
- Hazardous material such as mercury and sodium azide are removed.
- After the removal of all the parts and products, the remaining shell of the vehicle is crushed into a cube or a flat piece.
- It is then transported to a shredder where it is reduced in size.
- After removing the glass, plastic, and rubber the metal mass is sold to steel mills for recycling.
Auto wreckers in the Newcastle area benefit the environment in such a way that steel scrap that is recycled is of a large quantity. This greatly reduces the burden on the environment of producing new steel. The mercury and other hazardous material are also recycled. This prevents them from polluting the earth. Various fluids used in the car are reused which is also beneficial as these oils do not pollute the environment. Various parts are detached and sold in the market. This reduces the number of new parts that need to be manufactured. This helps in conserving our natural resources.